KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Bacone Warrior men’s cross country program made their debut at No. 13 after last week’s runner-up finish at the NAIA Midstates Classic where the All-Native American team had 6 runners finish in the top 25.
The Thunderbirds of British Columbia hold on to the No. 1 ranking in the NAIA Men’s Cross Country Coaches’ Top 25 Poll for the second-straight week, the national office announced Wednesday.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999):
- British Columbia garnered 13 first place votes and 584 total points to hang on to the top spot.
- This is the sixth time that the Thunderbirds have been ranked No. 1.
- Defending National Champion Southern Oregon is currently ranked No. 2, receiving eight first place votes.
- No. 13 Bacone (Okla.) makes its first appearance in the Top 25 of 2017 and are the highest ranked team who was unranked in the previous poll.
- Southern Oregon holds the record for the most No. 1 rankings with 34 all time
- Southern Oregon also holds the record for the longest active streak of being in the Top 25 with 89 straight appearances, dating back to 2008
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
- Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams.
- A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2017 NAIA Men’s Cross Country Coaches’ Top 25 Poll
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [1ST PLACE VOTES]||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||British Columbia ||584|
|2||1||Southern Oregon ||579|
|3||3||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||538|
|4||4||College of Idaho||535|
|5||7||St. Francis (Ill.)||529|
|7||10||Saint Mary (Kan.)||453|
|15||14||The Master’s (Calif.)||338|
|16||13||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||312|
|17||16||Northwest Christian (Ore.)||308|
|18||25||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||250|
|23||NR||Shawnee State (Ohio)||162|
Dropped From Top 25: Aquinas (Mich.), Texas Wesleyan, Doane (Neb.)
Others Receiving Votes: Aquinas (Mich) 142; Cumberlands (Ky.) 135; Mount Mercy (Iowa) 69; Madonna (Mich.) 51; Texas Wesleyan 49; Dordt (Iowa) 16; Montreat (N.C.) 9; Siena Heights (Mich.) 5; Reinhardt (Ga.) 3; Doane (Neb.) 3